Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Influences

Influences...

"My parents have been a prodigious influence on my musical and artistic interests"

There's nothing better than doing the things you love. I am very grateful to be privileged enough to be able to have the surroundings to enjoy and discover the hobbies and activities I love. Being a family of three means that I and my parents have time to spend with each other. Some say you're blessed if you're fortunate enough to be an only child -  I suppose that's correct in some aspects, but surely being surrounded by bothers and sisters means you're just as blessed and fortunate. Before I came along, my parents had quite hectic and exciting lifestyles. Both my parents have always been interested in music and art. I don't like to say "like mother, like daughter" because I don't believe that we are the same as our parents. What I do think is that we are influenced according to our input from our parents, the conversations we share and more specifically...what we are drawn too. 

My dad aged 27

My father has been a member of many bands throughout his life. Some being very successful. My dad has been playing guitar for 40 years and is very passionate about classical music and songwriting. My Mum and Dad met 20 years ago when my Dad was setting up PA for a Jazz Band in a pub. My parents got married a year after they met; today is their wedding anniversary of 19 years. 

Dorothy's Closet: 
Dorothy's closet was a very successful band which gained a publishing contract. Where the band became really successful was when they decided to tour from Scotland right down to Bognor Regis. Looking back at my father's achievements, not only within his career but with his classical pieces that he has practiced for many years has made me very interested in discovering if I had any musical interests. I have come to see that I love playing and learning to play musical instruments, big and small. From pianos to ukuleles to guitars to saxophones I'll try to play them all. 

Artistic Influences...


My dads art work - aged 14
My mother grew up in Oxford, worlds apart from my father and from a very different background. My mum has always been interested in Art and fashion. My mum attended Art college for a total of three years and studied fine art and fashion. She later became a fashion designer in Cheltenham and created clothing and garments for Mothercare, Habitat, Harrods, British Homestores, and exclusive items for local boutiques. Widening her career my mum worked making toys and bags for children's television - popular book characters such as Thomas the Tank Engine, Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh. Just like my musical influences from my father, I feel that my Mothers artistic talents have interested me and I have chosen to study both music and art at school.

My mum modeling for her fashion degree




No comments:

Post a Comment